Saturday, October 16, 2010

Maria's Marinade

About three months ago, I wrote this to my sister-in-law:
I can't stop thinking about your delicious marinade.
May I have it, pretty please? Lovingly, Ruthie




 

Being the amazing sister-in-law she is, she responded with the secrets of the most amazing marinade in all the land. (I don't lie, try it.) So being the amazing sister-in-law that I am, I'm making her famous. 

(Disclaimer: There was something about this being adapted from Joy of Cooking, so I better mention it. But Maria's touch is what makes this the best.)

Citrus Herb Marinade

"This is among the simplest and most satisfying ways to give fish, poultry, meat, and large vegetables lively flavor before applying heat. Suit the herbs to the food."

Combine in a dish and blend with a fork:

1/4 cup mild-tasting olive oil or nut oil
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh orange juice or dry red wine
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley, preferably flat-leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves or other appropriate herb
1/2 bay leaf, very finely crumbled
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black or white pepper, or to taste

Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.

So, I don't follow this recipe to a T. I usually estimate the ingredients instead of taking time to measure, though with measuring, you will probably come up with the best result. When I did this on Sunday, I omitted the red wine/orange juice, and put in extra lemon juice, omitted the parsley, and crushed the garlic, which I think produces a more intense garlic flavor than mincing, and is faster. I usually marinate chicken for 30 min. at the least, but a few hours is preferable. Also, brushing the marinade on when grilling is helpful to keep the chicken moist.

Enjoy!

With love,
Maria


P.S. from me:

I have definitely put this recipe to use in my own way. I don't follow it to a T, but you know how that goes. I often use Italian seasoning instead of thyme, and cilantro instead of parsley... so delicious! Grilling is the best of course, but it works beautifully stove-top as well. I totally made the chicken in the picture at the top and served coconut rice. Yummmm!

1 comment:

  1. Wow~ My rise to stardom has begun. :) It really is good though.

    ReplyDelete

how 'bout this...

Related Posts with Thumbnails